St. Mary's GAA Club notes

Our talented U12 squads continue to impress and showed their full range of skills when they travelled to Collooney to play Owenmore Gaels last Tuesday. Our Division 3 side had a strong contest particularly in a tight first half, when our defence had to concentrate hard to keep a game Owenmore side out of easy scoring range.   Well done lads and in particular to Conor Golden. This platform allowed us stretch our advantage and record a 15-9 victory with Harry Cawley excelling in an exciting second half.  Our Division 1 team had a 25-16 win against same opponents but the result flattered us as with 5 minutes left there were only 4 scores in the game and a flurry of late scores put a gloss on the scoreboard. Dylan Streete had a superb 2nd half with Clyde Regan making an excellent impression on his first game with the older team.   The U12’s have a break of a week until their next matches away to Eastern Harps on Tuesday 25th.   Our minor side should have had semi-final action during last week, but their opponents didn’t field and instead we wish the lads the best of luck in their Shield final against Geevagh/St Michaels.   The game will be played in the Centre of Excellence on Thursday night with a 6.30 throw-in, and please come out and support the team.

In Mens Football, our Senior squad travelled to Grange looking for a result to secure their position in the top Division.   Worringly we were without a number of players through injury.   In warm conditions, our players showed great determination to grind out a draw thereby guaranteeing their Division one status. The final result in what turned out to be a very high scoring game was 3-10 to 1-16.   Concentration will be switching to the Championship and training continues during the week.  

The Division 3 men's team travelled to Enniscrone on Saturday evening.  Down a number of regulars, due to Longitude commitments, we were still able to despatch a group of 18 men to do battle. Team selection had to be altered to accommodate a request to have the game played at 13 a side. It took a few minutes for Marys to settle and Cian Muldowney continued to impress with a superb point. Unfortunately Enniscrone had a number of experienced players in the middle third and Marys struggled to pass them. 12 points to 1-2 down at half time management demanded more from the players in the second half. The players responded, and restricted Enniscrone’s scoring chances for the first 15 minutes until a good move whittled down our defence and raised the green flag. Marys continues to try hard and always in the thick of the action was Cormac Murray who was making his first appearance at this level. Enniscrone won a highly enjoyable match, and we look forward to welcoming Eastern Harps to Kent Park on next Sunday at 1pm.

In Ladies football, we took on Championship heavy weights Tourlestrane in the second round of the Championship.   Unfortunately we had to field an understrength team and despite the girls giving their all we were no match for Tourlestrane on this occasion.   However our next match is against St Pats and a win there will guarantee a semi-final spot.

A reminder that the race night social event is on in the clubhouse on this Friday the 21st of July.   The recent table quizzes were highly enjoyable and this promises to be also.

Comments and Discussion on this article:                          (+ Write a Comment)

Write comments about this article
Your Name:*