IFC St Johns 2-15 St Patricks 1-10

Back 09/09/2019 @ 12:22 | mainnews | IFC St Johns 2-15 St Patricks 1-10
St Johns win the battle of the saints
St Johns 2 - 15 ;   St Patricks 1 - 10
On Sunday afternoon in the Centre of Excellence, Scarden, St Johns secured their place in the Kennedy Intermediate Championship quarter final by virtue of their 8 points winning margin over St Patricks. As a result of their win the Carraroe-based outfit will face St Farnans, the club they defeated after a replay in the 2017 Intermediate final while the Dromard boys are confined to a relegation battle with Ballymote Round Towers. These games are scheduled to go ahead on the weekend of Sept 21st/22nd. This was a game of great importance to each club as the result would have a bearing on the club's status for next year and both teams were determined not to lose out. No quarter was give or asked as both sets of player gave of  their all in a tough contest that ensured referee Ciaran Mc Govern had to keep a sharp eye on proceedings. Both teams showed many changes from their line-outs in the match program with Johns making four adjustments while Pats made six.
With St Pats having first advantage of the fresh breeze as it blew from the road end, the game got off to a lively start with St Johns first on the scoreboard with a point from Brian Mc Gowan. Pierce Kearins quickly replied with a fine point for St Pats before wing back, Feidhlim Murphy restored the Johns lead as he got onto the end of a passing movement to shoot a point after 6 mins. Both sides were guilty of a number of wides before Ryan Mc Manus scored the first of his two goals for the Carraroe boys in the 9th min. James Clarke slotted over a Pats point in the 12th min and then Michael O'Brien in the Pats goal, made a great save to deny Charlie Harrison a goal chance. A pointed free from Clarke after 19 mins brought the score to 1 - 2 to 0 - 3 before the Johns forwards were guilty of a number of missed chances as they shot four wides. David Burke and Clarke then exchanged points and an Alan Keane pointed free for Johns brought the half time score to 1 - 4 to 0 - 4.
Immediately on the resumption Johns went in the attack as Keane increased their lead with two points after fine passing movements. A Dean Mahon point for the Dromard boys reduced the deficit only for Mc Manus to restore the gap to 5 points. In the 7th minute a high ball into the Johns goal area was brilliantly fielded by James Clarke of St Pats and he duly dispatched it to the net to leave the score at 1 - 7 to 1 - 5 and give heart to his teams supporters. However their joy was short-lived as within 2 mins Mc Manus was on the end of a 50m run from Paul Mc Namara to slot home his second goal. A Ross Gordon point from play and a pointed free by Keane extended the Johns lead to  2 - 9 to 1- 5. In reply James Clarke scored three points from frees within five mins to bring the deficit back to 4 points once again. Points from Mc Namara and a Keane free  were responded to with another Clarke point in the 23rd min of the half. Over the next 5mins Mc Manus(2) , Mc Gowan and sub Shane Regan brought the Johns tally to 2 - 15 with a Jack Clarke pointed free being all Pats could muster during the 9 minutes of injury time played. , leaving the final score at 2 - 15 to 1 - 10.
The winners will no doubt take confidence from this much improved performance as they battled hard, contesting every ball,and supporting one another throughout the field. They will however be concerned with the number of scoring opportunities they failed to convert. In what was an overall fine team performance they were best served by Enda Roche, David Burke and Feidhlim Murphy in defence, while Paul Mc Namara and Cathal Jordan came out on top in midfield ably supported by Charlie Harrison. Up front Brian Mc Gowan, Ryan Mc Manus and Alan Keane were to the fore. 
St Patricks will be disappointed with their overall performance with improvements needed in several areas if they are to retain their Intermediate status. They were not lacking in effort but were not a match for a Johns team that they had defeated in their league encounter which ultimately confined the Carraroe outfit to Div 3 League football next year.
Goalkeeper Michael O Brien made some great saves and Ciaran and James Giblin and Tomas Mc Munn tried hard in an overworked defence, Pierce Kearins had his moments at midfield and James Clarke and Dean Mahon were the pick of the forwards.
St Johns; Josh Mc Donagh; Aaron Clerkin, Enda Roche, Conor Sweeney; Jack Sayers, David Burke(0-1), Feidhlim Murphy ( 0-1); Paul Mc Namara(0-1), Cathal Jordan; Conor Greene, Ryan Mc Manus(2-3), Brian Mc Gowan(0-2); Charlie Harrison, Ross Gordon(0-1), Alan Keane(0-5). Subs Ian Rossitor for Sayers, Fiachra Grennan for Sweeney, Shane Regan(0-1) for Greene and Andrew Kerr for Keane.
St Patricks; Michael O'Brien; Jack Egan Tomas Mc Munn, Ciaran Giblin; David Giblin, Fiachra Mc Crann, Patrick Keaveney; Pierce Kearins(0-1), James Kearins; Jonathan Higgins, Dean Mahon(0-1), Connell Kearins; Joseph Mc Munn, James Clarke(1-7), Ciaran Brady Subs; Oisin Keaveney for P Keaveney; Darragh Williams for Brady; Jack Clarke(0-1) for Mc Crann.

Referee Ciaran Mc Govern