Second quarter surge sets St Marys up for second League win

Back 13/06/2023 @ 01:41 | mainnews | Second quarter surge sets St Marys up for second League win

Curry 2-12, St Mary’s 2-16

St Mary’s continued their strong start to the 2023 Fureys Senior league Division One campaign with a second successive victory over South Sligo opposition in their clash against Curry on Friday evening last.

The sides played out an entertaining high scoring contest in perfect conditions at Curry with the Sligo town side holding out in a whirlwind finish as the home side threw everything into a late push for the league points.

Although St Marys opened the scoring with a first minute Stephen Coen point, it was Curry who took the early initiative. Four successive points from Cathal Brennan, Tommy Henry, Adrian Marren and a Jason Marren free had them 0-4 to 0-1 ahead after ten minutes,

Emlyn Mulligan and Fintan Campbell were on the mark for St Mary’s either side of an Adrian Marren free to leave the home side two up 0-5 to 0-3 before the sides took a well-earned water break, allowed due to the warm conditions.

Although they were winning good possession around the middle of the park, Curry were not pressing home that advantage and had five wides in the second quarter when they had the opportunities to open out a lead.

Instead, by the 25th minute, the visitors had narrowed the gap to one, 0-6 to 0-5, with points from Sean Clifford and Michael Munnelly either side of another Adrian Marren point from play.

The game then saw a dramatic closing eight minutes of the half as St. Marys turned the tables on their hosts in a spell that shaped the outcome of the game.

Firstly Curry were awarded a penalty for a foul on Adam Gallagher but David Lynch in the St Mary’s goal saved from Adrian Marren to keep the margin at one. 

The Sligo town side then hit back at the other end with a devastating burst of scores that put them firmly in the driving seat.

They had goals from Fionn O’Hehir and Jay Cox followed by another Coen point from play and two pointed frees converted by Mulligan. Adrian Marren did get a point back for Curry with a free in the last action of the first half but that devasting burst sent the town side into the dressing rooms seven ahead, 2-8 to 0-7, despite being behind for the first 25 minutes.


Although the ageless Adrian Marren opened the scoring again for Curry early in the second half, points from Munnelly, Mulligan, from a mark, and two from Coen, one a free, extended the St Mary’s lead within the first ten minutes of the second half cementing their grip on the game.

Tommy Henry and Adrian Marren for Curry each swapped points with the St Mary’s midfield partners, Munnelly and David McGovern to keep the margin at ten, 2-14 to 0-10, heading into the second water break.

As is often the case, the momentum of the game shifted somewhat from the refreshments and although the winning of the game was gone, Curry finished much the brighter. Firstly, the Marren brothers, Adrian and Jason converted a free each and although Coen had a point in reply for the leaders, the momentum was with the men in green as Jason Marren got inside the defence to find the net and pull the gap back to six.   

St Mary’s substitute Conor White pointed to give his side a little assurance but Curry had the last word as Tommy Henry found the next again in the 59th minute to bring the margin back to four.

It set up a few uneasy minutes of added time for St Mary’s but having established the strong lead, they held out to stay unbeaten at the top end of the league table.

Curry: Sean Marren; Tommy Ross, Michael Jennings, Dylan McLaughlin; Luke Fleming, Oisín Higgins, Keith Feely; Jack Duffy, Liam Reilly; Stephen Donoghue, Adrian Marren (0-8, 4f), Adam Gallagher; Jason Marren (1-2, 2f), Tommy Henry (1-1), Cathal Brennan (0-1)

St Marys: David Lynch; Fionn O’Hehir (1-0), Ryan Feehily, Zaac Mahon; Sean Clifford (0-1), Tony O’Kelly Lynch, Kevin Beirne, David McGovern (0-1), Michael Munnelly (0-3); Fintan Campbell (0-1), Johnny Martyn, Scott Lynch; Stephen Coen (0-5, 1f), Emlyn Mulligan (0-4, 2f, 1m), Jay Cox (1-0): Sub; Conor White (0-1)

Referee: Michael Duffy