St. Mary's GAA Club notes

The Club was back to normal business last week following the Feile and great to see another impressive attendance at Saturday morning coaching.   Congratulations to Bobby on being the standout player for the morning.   Coaching continues throughout the summer.   The U12 boys continue their Divisions 1 and 3 league campaigns this Tuesday with the arrival of Ballymote/Bunninadden to Kent Park.

The minor lads visited Shamrock Gaels last Sunday for their league semi-final, but unfortunately Riverstown proved a difficult spot to visit and the home side were victorious on a high scoreline of 5-13 to 3-13.   These are a great bunch of lads and as usual put everything into the game.  They will be looking forward to the opportunity of getting the upperhand in the Championship

The senior mens side had the frustration of losing a high scoring league tie against Coolera by a single point on last Sunday, despite taking a healthy lead of 3-06 to 1-06 into half time.   Coolera timed their comeback to perfection and gradually reeled St Marys in, only hitting the front with a couple of minutes left in the game.   Still we made chances, and the match could have gone either way.   The decisive score went to Coolera courtesy of a free in front of the posts and while we had one further opportunity to tie, it was not to be and the game ended 3-13 to 3-14.   Next league match is a testing encounter this Saturday away to Tourlestrane, throw-in at 7pm.   The Junior side have a league semi-final on the previous night (Friday), when Enniscrone/Kilglass will be the opposition.   The game is in Kent Park with an 8pm start, and good luck to all involved.

The U16 girls finally got the win that has eluded them this season and no better place to start that in the first group game of the Championship.   Playing away to St Farnons on a hot evening, the girls started with a purpose and raced into a 2-02 to 0-01 lead until their rhythm was disrupted by a mid-half water break when Farnons sprung into action to grab 3 quick goals.   At the half, we were a point behind.   Then the girls found another gear for the second half and solid defence gave the forwards a platform to keep the scoreboard moving, St Marys eventually winning by 4-17 to 5-08.   The team has a 2 week break until they take on near neighbours Coolera in the next round of matches.   Good luck to the Senior ladies who play Geevagh in Kent Park this Monday (8th).

Comments and Discussion on this article:                          (+ Write a Comment)

Write comments about this article
Your Name:*