St. Mary's GAA Club notes

Back 15/07/2019 @ 10:10 | clubnotes | St. Mary's GAA Club notes

Our younger members had plenty of football with the Cul camp held during the week and last Saturday’s coaching was deferred as a result.   There was further action on the playing front, when the U12 teams had league ties against Ballymote/Bunninadden and recorded 2 impressive wins.   Both teams showed great skills and teamwork.    Their last round of league games is in 2 weeks when they play Easkey.   The U14’s take to the Championship field when they welcome St Molaise Gaels to Kent Park on this Friday (July 19th).   The Minors had a successful first outing in their Championship last Thursday away to Castleconnor when they took a high scoring match on a scoreline of 4-15 to 2-12.   The lads were ahead 2-09 to 2-04 at the interval and started the second half impressively to stretch their lead by a further 10 points, making sure Castleconnor would not get back into the match.   Well done to all involved.

On the ladies side of the Club, our U12 girls did us proud in their second round of the Championship when they played Owenmore Gaels in Collooney and were victorious by 17 scores to 11 scores.   Our girls stood up to an older and physically stronger side, playing impressively as a unit to the delight of their coaches and supporters.   On Friday 19th, their next match is at home to Ballisodare.   The U14 girls are next in action on Monday 22nd when St Molaise Gaels visit Kent Park.  The U16 girls have their second round Championship match against neighbours Coolera on this Monday which promises to be a serious test and early indicator on the strength of both teams.   The Minor Championship commences this week, and St Marys have a bye with their first outing then being on July 24th against Calry.   The Senior ladies played Geevagh last Monday on a very wet evening, and held their own impressively against more experienced opponents who were relieved to leave Kent Park with the points.

In senior mens’ football, we suffered defeat to Tourlestrane by 5 points.   The first half was an even game and it was 4 points each at the break.   Tourlestrane came out the stronger in the second half and almost immediately earned a penalty which was saved impressively by Alan Sheerin.  The pressure game continued and our opponents opened a lead, we were unable to close and the game ended 1-10 to 1-05.   The Junior side were due to play their league semi-final, but received a walkover so now have a final to look forward towards.   They are a good mix of a side and to date have played impressively in their matches, so best wishes lads when the final is played.