SHC: Naomh Eoin 1-17 v Western Gaels 3-16

Back 16/09/2019 @ 08:03 | mainnews | SHC: Naomh Eoin 1-17 v Western Gaels 3-16

Naomh Eoin hurlers were edged out by Western Gaels in an exciting Round 5 Sligo SHC game at Kent Park last Saturday afternoon by 3-16 to 1-17. Naomh Eoin still qualified in joint top of the group on 7 points and will play Western Gaels again in the senior hurling championship semi-final this Friday at 8.30pm in Tourlestrane or Scarden, venue to be confirmed. Easkey topped the group on scoring difference and will play Calry/St.Joseph's in the other semi-final.

In the first half Naomh eoin faced into a stiff breeze which gave Gaels an advantage that they quickly converted into scores, racing to a 0-3 to 0-1 lead after five minutes of play, with the accurate Tony O'Kelly-Lynch converting the first of his three first half points from placed balls. Naomh Eoin managed six first half points in total with Paul Kilcoyne (2) and Liam Henry adding excellent scores from play. However the visitors were dominant in possession and Gaels wing forward Alan Cawley converted this dominance into scores from frees and play, as our depleted senior team struggled to cope with a determined opposition who had to win this game to make the semi-finals.

As the half wore on, the away team became more dominant and a goal from a close-in free from the hurl of their keeper David Barrett meant that a 11 point differential at the break with a scoreline of 1-11 to 0-6.

In the second half the tables were turned and Naomh Eoin made quick work of eating into the deficit with a succession of scores, initiated by a well worked move leading to corner forward Fergal O'Kelly-Lynch finishing into the net after two minutes of play. His brothers Gerard and Tony contributed to a frequent series of scores but Gaels added a goal against the run of play from wing-back Bryan Moloney which arrested our comeback to a degree. However after 20 minutes the town side had cut the deficit to a solitary point as Paul Kilcoyne added two further points leaving the score at 1-16 to 2-14.

Western Gaels then staged a comeback as Alan Cawley (two frees) and Simon Wade (goal) stopped Naomh Eoin second half fight back in its tracks. A succession of desperate attempts to reel back the six point deficit lead to only one score from top performer Tony O'Kelly-Lynch and at full time the result was Western Gaels 3-16 Naomh Eoin 1-17.