SHC Semi Final: Easkey 1-16 v Calry 1-4

Back 20/09/2019 @ 23:31 | mainnews | SHC Semi Final: Easkey 1-16 v Calry 1-4

Easkey made it back to the county final for the first time since 1984 and will be hoping to win the title for the first time since 1963 after easily defeating Calry in Tourlestrane on Friday evening.

Finnian Cawley and Andrew Kilcullen started in place of Hayden Gilroy and Dónal Hanley and both were prominent early on. Calry were in trouble in their half forward line early on and were unable to gain their puck outs. Rory McHugh was dominant here and was hitting his brother Joe with perfect ball and the speed of the full forward line of Mulligan and Kilcullen meant there was panic every time the ball came in. Early points from Mikey Gordon and Joe McHugh settled Easkey and McHugh struck to the roof of the net in a counter attack movement after a Ronan Cox effort was saved at the far end. By the time Calry got their first score from a Keith Raymond free Easkey were up 1-5 v 0-1.

McHugh had 2 65s scored in that time as Declan Reidy made 2 good saves. Another Mikey Gordon point after an excellent run by Cawley and an absolute monster Rory McHugh had extended the lead to 9 when Ronan Cox struck for a good goal after Easkey had looked like they had dealt with a dangerous situation. Cox was showing good speed and was unlucky not to get another but was hooked when striking. At half time the men from the west have a 1-10 v 1-1 lead with Kilcullen getting 2 points from play. 

Calry had the slight breeze in the second half and started with 3 pointed frees from Raymond . At this time there was a chance that Calry would come back into the game however they were heading for goals full time but were getting no change from Gavin Connolly and James Weir. A missed long range free from Raymond with 15 to go was the beginning of the end for Calry and full back Kenny saw red after two yellows it was as good as over. Easkey emptied the bench and finished with points from Gordon, Cawley, McHugh and Weir to send the large Easkey crowd into raptures when referee Ciarán O'Donnell blew the final whistle. This was a thoroughly deserved victory for Easkey and their youthful team who now look forward to playing Naomh Eoin in the final.

Easkey: Joe McHugh 1-8 (0-7f), Mikey Gordon 0-3, Andrew Kilcullen 0-2, Rory McHugh, Finian Cawley, James Weir 0-1 each

Calry: Keith Raymond 0-4 (4f), Ronan Cox 1-0