SFC QF Replay: Shamrock Gaels 1-13 v Calry/St.Joseph's 0-11

All through this tight encounter it looked like extra time was going to be required. It was level on every few minutes. The goal was the last play in this tense encounter where possibly the greater fitness and ability to find their inside forwards in the last 15 minutes. 

Eoin Doherty who had an excellent first half got the first score of the game. Johnny Quinn quickly replied but Calry moved out to a 2 point lead with Adrian Cummins and Doherty. Doherty scored an excellent score from out on the stand side into the breeze to stretch the lead to 3. Gaels replied with a storming run from Seán Carroll who laid off to David Quinn and Ciaran O'Connor finished the movement with a point in the 18th minute. Gaels were now moving the ball faster through the lines and it was paying dividends with Frankie Quinn and Shane Deignan drawing the teams level and they went in front for the first time in the 26th minute when Johnny Quinn got a good score. Damien O'Boyle powered by a few men in a tight area and drove over the bar. Eoin Carroll just back on the field from a blood substitution did likewise but Eoin Doherty had the last say of the half when drawing the teams for the third time at 6 points a piece.

Gaels lost Paul Higgins to injury at the break but got off to a good start with a David Quinn free. Calry were now playing with the considerable breeze but their slow methodical attack was not using it, however they scored three points in a few minutes from Brian Cox and a Doherty free and an excellent solo run by Ciaran Stenson which he went about 100m before scraping it over the bar. Gaels responded and equalised with two points from play from Deignan and Frankie Quinn. Calry again went in front with a long range Doherty free but this was cancelled out with a great Seán Carroll score. 

With 12 to go Gaels went in front and stayed there. Two Quinn frees put them 2 up and with 10 minutes to go a long range point effort from Griffin hit the post and from the rebound Lyons made an excellent save and Doherty struck the 45 just wide. Try as they might Calry could not get a shot off and after 10 mins scoreless, Quinn scored a free which was quickly followed by a Doherty free in injury time to leave two in it. A counter attack from Gaels saw an effort for a point go across the goals  where James Carroll(or was it Dillon McDermott?) caught the ball and rounded Adrian Devaney to seal their place against Tourlestrane next Sunday/

Gaels: David Quinn 0-4(4f) James Carroll(Dillon McDermott) 1-0, Johnny Quinn, Frankie Quinn, Shane Deignan 0-2 each, Ciaran O'Connor, Eoin Carroll, Sean Carroll 0-1 each

Calry: Eoin Doherty 0-7 (6f)Adrian Cummins, Damien O'Boyle, Brian Cox, Ciaran Stenson 0-1 each

Comments and Discussion on this article:                          (+ Write a Comment)

Write comments about this article
Your Name:*